Wednesday, December 14, 2011

representational teapots

It seems like ages have gone by since I was back in the high school art room finishing up my last few weeks of student teaching.  This project representational teapots I created for an entry level freshman class.  Teaching ceramics/building is not only a) completely cool because every child develops a love of clay very early but b) quite challenging and rewarding when it reaches the high school level.  My cooperating teacher did a great job showing students the simple pinch, coil, slab constructions, but I wanted to challenge students a little further.

The functionality and image of a teapot is very mundane and often overlooked.  However, there are TONS of creative twists you can travel down when confronted with the task of creating a teapot that looks like something else.  Students really got into the building of their forms, because it took some time, thought, and maybe a little frustration into figuring out which technique would work best for their ideas.

Looking ahead, I hope to someday get back to a middle or high school art classroom again.  Introducing this project at the middle school would be just plain awesome, and I would like to tweak it even more for high schoolers the second time around.

powerpoint of some great examples of artists.

more student work

No comments:

Post a Comment