Monday, January 2, 2012

First Year Art Teachers; what they didn't teach you, and what you're going to find out.

As a first year art educator, I am constantly following other educators on Twitter, going through blogs, reading new articles all trying to develop the wild flying around that has now become the start of my career as an art educator.   Sometimes, however, it seems overwhelming how much information I am trying to teach my myself, and I often reflect how I can benefit others in my field as much as they inspire me?

With all of that searching, talking to other teachers, reading on my own, I am engulfed into my own education as much as that of my students.  What I guess is more evident now, is that learning is truly never ending.  And although I am greatly appreciative of my education throughout college, there are some things you just don't figure out until you're thrown into the "real world".  So here we go, what knowledge I have to offer in the art education community.  What you won't be taught, but you're going to find out soon enough (and just maybe my tips/to-dos can help you along the way).

10. Go to a community event in your school district. 
I went to a Friday Night Football game with my mentor.  The reaction this got from some of my students made it so worth the trip back to school for the night.  If you have an interest in a sport or other activity in a school, let your students see that as well.  I love football, and being able to connect with a big majority of my students who were at the game as well increased my bond as their teacher in the classroom.


9. Set guidelines for your materials.
Working in an elementary school, there are going to be many requests to borrow or use supplies.  Depending on your budget or your stock be careful of this.  It's important to help out and share, however, remember these are supplies for the art room.  If you can talk with other art teachers in your district or even the teacher you replaced about what they did.


8. Make things work/easier for you.
I cannot tell you how many times I have moved the tables and cabinets in my room.  EVERYTHING plays a factor into how well the art room is going to function.  So keep challenging yourself to find out the best way to (Tim Gunn's) make it work


7. Keep a sketchbook.
Just because you're not in a college studio class anymore doesn't mean you're not an artist.  It's always best to keep a little book for whatever around (I call mine my brain, and I am literally lost without it).  Doodle in it, write ideas that come to your mind, lists of things to do - whatever it is, its a great little source of inspiration when you are looking for ideas for new projects. 


6. Join your state's Art Education Association & go to the yearly conference.
Seriously, our state's conference rocked my world.  Many art teachers (like me) are the only ones in our building.  Being able to spend a weekend with a whole hotel full of art teachers is moving and inspiring.


5. Get a Twitter account. 
I used to be against twitter, but man was I missing out!  Develop a PLN (personal learning network) for yourself and start sharing and learning.  There are tons of experienced and kick-butt art teachers out there, we need to learn from them.


4. Start a blog.
See I'm doing it right now!  It's really easy and a great way to reflect and improve.


3. Help your students see art everywhere.
It is your job to not only create awesome art in your classroom, but to also inspire your students to see and love art everywhere.  Don't just stay cooped up in your art room.  Once in a while, during some down time (or I'm not focused for any real work) I like to "art bomb" my school.  What does that mean?  Well I go around the hallways and leave works of art.  Like my Perry the Platypus over to the right, I saw the Post-It Wars art and wanted to share that with my school.  So I started adding these guys all over the place with a little blurb students can read.  It not only shows our students that art has so many possibilities and no boundaries, but it's also a great conversation starter.  Make art stand out for your students - it's incredible.


2. Stay on top of your game. (aka don't burn yourself out already!)
Ok, so I like to relate a big chunk of my teaching experience to sports, but hear me out.  It's going to be busy and hectic and tiring, then you're going to look up and winter breaks over already (I'm there right now)  It is extremely important to remember to take some time for yourself; a hobby/whatever you love doing and spend some time doing that too.  Example; I love running/working out.  When I don't I get all grumpy and I'm not myself.  If I don't spend some time on myself and go do that - am I really in the best mind set to be the teacher I want to be? NO.


1. Be yourself.

Alright, so I had to do the video.  Whenever I hear the expression "be yourself" that's where my mind goes first, and I can't help but laugh, because yeah it's corny.  But in all honesty, you've become an art teacher for a good/specific reason.  Art educators all around hold the same bond in the passion we hold for what we teach, however, everyone is unique and still completely different.  Start finding out what makes you stand out and continue to build and incorporate it into your teaching practice.  Use your interests, skills, and who you are to keep working towards the art teacher you already are and will continue to be.


Well, so there you have it.  I just wanted to also add, that even thought I wrote this for new art teachers, it can apply to new teachers in any field!  Also experienced art educators, if you're reading this hopefully you've enjoyed it and add some more suggestions for us all!  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I know you wrote this a few years ago, but as an aspiring Art teacher myself, I appreciate it. I'm the last one in my program (Elementary & Secondary Fine Arts Education) and am having the hardest time getting through bc my University just didn't know what to do with me, they just stick me in wit the English majors, lol. So, I'm on my own to learn what is going to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I know you wrote this a few years ago, but as an aspiring Art teacher myself, I appreciate it. I'm the last one in my program (Elementary & Secondary Fine Arts Education) and am having the hardest time getting through bc my University just didn't know what to do with me, they just stick me in wit the English majors, lol. So, I'm on my own to learn what is going to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you enjoyed it! Yes, it was quite some time since I was a first year teacher -- if you'd like some inspiration and project ideas, I keep a newer blog at thenerdyartteacher.wordpress.com!

      Delete