Thursday, January 19, 2012

#waitNOmorePinterest?


Yesterdays SOFA/PIPA blackout was everywhere.  You could not open your Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, pretty much anything without reading the messages urging to petition back and the general masses speaking out.  Myself, like everyone else in the world, is completely shocked at the possibility of no longer having the internet be what it has grown to be today; and also yet what it can still be.


So as a little test, I reflected back on my day and macbook's history to see how the internet played a key factor in my day...

5:15am: check Facebook message about my hotel for the #NAEA conference

7:00am Get to school: Time to check Twitter. Was reminded to vote for my favorite #artsed blog of the year (but seriously some awesome blogs that you need to know and vote for)

7:30am: You Tubing around, find an awesome video about Tim Burton puppets/armatures 

8:40-11:50am: Show said video to every 4th grade class.  We're creating wire armatures and it rocked their worlds to see that art.

12:10 - 1:00pm: Spend most of my lunch hour pinning new ideas for art projects and classroom management ideas.

2:50pm: Update my Twitter. . .


HELLO people, you get the point!  Social media, collaboration, and constant updating of ideas/images is what is fueling not just myself as an #art teacher, but everyone!  Now I don't want to be ranting, but I can get pretty frustrated when I see the government going backwards - because it affects my students the most. Yes I show youtube videos in class, yes I follow other art teachers to learn and better myself, yes I look for "cool" stuff online to relate in my lessons, yes I find inspiration in the world at my fingertips.
I might as well go back to my mother's first Nokia phone, through away my projector, my iPads, laptop, and stand in front of a chalkboard like Ben Stein.  But that will NOT work.  Trust me.
 Now the probably of these legislations passing is very slim, but it still gets me worked up.  As educators and as artists, the stoping of piracy is a legitimate issue worth solving.  However, this route is threatening to cripple a forward moving education practice.  (Funny, I can think of another government program that does that to education. . . )
But readers, thank you for reading through this post.  Just something I had to get out, more art lessons and working on PDF presentations to share coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment