Friday, January 20, 2012

Ipad App: AirSketch

AirSketch - $9.99 iTunes
Apple (whether you believe it or not) is revolutionizing the educational world by storm.  Like most MacNerds, I am constantly learning new tricks, playing, researching apps, and I sit around waiting for them to reveal their newest gadget.  The possibility of the iPad is a power that can be harnessed so much in schools.  (I'm very jealous by the way - I had to beg my mother when I was 13 to buy me the original Ipod Classic)  Anyway, what I'm getting at, is that I am VERY fortunate to be in a school district that supports my love of Technology (and Apple) and now I get paid to play around and incorporate it as much as I can in my classrooms.  Hope you enjoy this app review and you enjoy it as much as I do!

Picture this.  Your computer/laptop is plugged into the projector so everyone in the class can view the powerpoint you've created.  You are walking around your classroom, but you really want to be able to draw a circle around an important point.  Or ask a student to point something out for you.  Well this app, AirSketch, makes this a reality and extremely simple!

There are a ton of apps out there that will do this for you.  However, when explaining to other teachers, I have found that this app is the simplest for people to just start using.  It's a little pricey ($9.99), but if you would like to try it out first you can download the lite version to see how easy it works.

First, download AirSketch (duh!).  You're also going to need the app DropBox.  If you don't already use this app go do it now.  [or if you really don't like it, any PDF reader will open to AirSketch, however, these instructions use DropBox]



Open the AirSketch app on your iPad.  In the lower left corner you will see an internet status bar looking button.  Click that.  It will give you a Server Address Number - take that number and load into an empty web page on your laptop to sync the two.  (See I told you it was easy!)




To begin opening a created presentation in AirSketch, first convert your powerpoint or keynote file into PDF form.  Place in DropBox on your laptop.  Open the DropBox app on your iPad. (See photo to the left)



In DropBox, in the upper right corner click on the "Open In" button.  AirSketch will be one of your choices, go ahead and click.

Your PDF will now appear in AirSketch.  Which is also synced with your laptop.  Your laptop is connected to the projector. Get it now?




You've just turned your iPad into a mobile tool to walk around with in your classroom.  I particularly like leaving fill in the blanks and then having students write in the answers during the slides.  Or have them circle parts in the slides we're talking about - it's an iPad, so for them it's totally cool, which is awesome.








No comments:

Post a Comment