Thursday, February 16, 2012

Color Wheelin'



After struggling a little with understanding color schemes (see a few posts earlier), my students really rocked it in this Kandinsky inspired "Color Scheme" project.  By separating/concentrating on one color group (or scheme) at a time, students were able to piece together each to create a work of art that really explores the color wheel.



Students began this project by first measuring out their 12"x18"piece of tagboard into six equal 6"x6" squares.  Each one of these squares was designated "Primary", "Secondary", "Tertiary", "Complementary", "Analogous", "Monochromatic".  Then one class period was devoted to just reviewing and working on that individual square.

When I started this project, I may have been a tiny bit over-ambitious (o.k. I was, but this is what reflective teaching is about!) in wanting each square to be a different medium - as you can see from some of the completed examples being different.  However, the demonstration time/review of materials was taking away from my students understanding/review of the color wheel.  So content being my main goal here, I decided to switch gears and have this a solely oil pastel project.  The easy mixing made it easy for students to create their own colors as well as create the crazy awesome designs.

This weekend is my districts fine arts festival, and I am positive these are going to be a big hit with our audiences.  I cannot wait!  Thanks for reading & check out slideshow. . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment