Monday, February 13, 2012

Is that sculpture "Tebowing"?

you know it!

Finally making myself sit down, get off of Pinterest, and write.  It's been a whirlwind of work happening in my art room - and I've been slacking on my blogging action.  My awesome students, however, just finished a very fun and exciting sculpture lesson on the artist Alberto Giacometti, so let's check it out. . .






I could NOT be happier with how these Giacometti sculptures turned out.  I was a little nervous doing wire figures with my 4th grade, but they rocked it.  This lesson began with an overview of Giacometti's work.  Students loved discussing the abstract qualities and focusing on the expressive human figures.  I followed this little presentation up with a partner gesture draw - definitely a good move to help students focus on the action/movement instead of capturing an exact likeness.

Students then spent an entire class period forming their wire armature by following my demonstration at the front of the room.  The next day, students were challenged to shape their wire into the pose they wanted, and also get their figures to stand using a model magic base.

This youtube video of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride had a really cool look on armatures in movies.  Great discussion with students on how artists take work like their simple armatures and apply them!

Completed sculptures then included a layer of aluminum foil added to the wire armature coated with a really cool set of metallic tempera I found in my random art supplies box.


No comments:

Post a Comment