Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ipad Apps: "Discovering Color"

Student playing Mixt Universal
I about had a minor heart attack this past week when I discovered that my 5th grade classes did NOT understand the color wheel.  (gasp right?)  But, being the super awesome miss art teacher lady that I am, I quickly called in my iPad reserves.  These next two apps really helped dig my students out of their colorless despair and where a HUGE hit in explaining the wonderful world of the color wheel.














Adobe Color Lava - iTunes $2.99
The Adobe App Color Lava was the best app I tried out for visually mixing colors on the iPad.  Unfortunately, this is a paid app, but $2.99 was extremely worth it to have students digitally mixing and making quick color wheels.  The screen gives you a blank canvas and the choice of the primary and secondary colors to begin with.  To mix, simply have students place colors next to each other, dip their brush/finger in the water (aka the really cool looking square on the left hand side - student discovered that!), then simply swirl the two colors together.

*Note: The blue and the yellow do NOT mix to create green.  This was a little frustrating, but nothing a little clarifying didn't fix up.


Mixt Universal - iTunes FREE!

I cannot even begin to explain how addicting the app Mixt Universal can be, and it's FREE booyah!  This very easy, yet challenging, game to play requires its player to sort different colored blobs into the color orbs at the bottom of the screen.  It gets tricky, however, when colors need to be combined or split apart in order to be the correct color at the bottom.  I have had a great response from students on this app, and many have downloaded for their iPods and iPads at home.  Learning while having fun - that's the best way isn't it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment